HUC-JIR Continuing Alumni Education - Mission
Sustaining lifelong learning for all alumni.
Lifelong learning is at the core of being a Jewish professional and, therefore, supporting continuing alumni education is an ongoing commitment of the Hebrew Union College � Jewish Institute of Religion, The three pillars � academic, professional and spiritual/personal� which are the foundation of the educational program for students at the College-Institute, should extend forward into their professional, spiritual, and intellectual lives. In educating Klai Kodesh, HUC-JIR shapes a common language and purpose that serves as a shared touchstone for our graduates.
The Department of Continuing Alumni Education gives voice to these beliefs and commitments by offering lifelong learning opportunities. It provides programs and serves as a gateway for other professional and personal growth experiences. The department works in partnership with the National Office of Alumni Affairs and Department of eLearning, under the leadership and guidance of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
The HUC-JIR Continuing Education program:
- offers learning opportunities which draw upon the rich and varied academic and educational resources of the College-Institute;
- integrates new research and innovations in professional training into its programming;
- recognizes the diverse learning styles, needs, and interests of our alumni and the ever-changing landscape of Jewish professional life today;
- aims to support alumni in their work by connecting them to communities of practice;
- is committed to collaboration with our Alumni Associations and the Council of Alumni Associations, as well as with their Professional Associations (e.g., CCAR, ACC, NATE), the URJ, and other communal, academic and professional institutions and organizations;
- is an advocate for ensuring the support of institutions and lay leaders in the lifelong learning of Jewish professionals and works to recognize alumni for their efforts in continuing their professional and personal development.
About the Director
Ruth Abusch-Magder was ordained from HUC-JIR NY in 2006. The same year, her dissertation, entitled Home-made Judaism: Food and Domestic Jewish Life in Germany and the United States, 1850-1914 earned her a doctorate from the Department of Religious Studies at Yale University. Upon ordination, Ruth spent a year in Israel as a Jerusalem Fellow at the Mandel Leadership Institute. She has published and taught in Europe, Canada, the United States and Israel. She is a frequent writer and teacher on issues relating to Jewish women, the Jewish home and Jewish food. Ruth joined the staff of HUC-JIR in 2007. She currently lives and works in Evanston, IL.
Warning: include(/srv/http/huc.edu/dev-static/continuinged/includes/cfooter.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /srv/http/huc.edu/www2/continuinged/about.php on line 82
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/srv/http/huc.edu/dev-static/continuinged/includes/cfooter.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /srv/http/huc.edu/www2/continuinged/about.php on line 82
Warning: include(/srv/http/huc.edu/dev-static/continuinged/includes/footer.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /srv/http/huc.edu/www2/continuinged/about.php on line 83
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/srv/http/huc.edu/dev-static/continuinged/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /srv/http/huc.edu/www2/continuinged/about.php on line 83