Michael J. Cook, HUC-JIR Sol and Arlene Bronstein Professor of Judaeo-Christian
Studies at our Cincinnati campus, will present: Passover and Christianity:
Aspects of Current Interest at our first hour-long phone study session.
To learn more about Michael Cook, please click
here to visit his homepage at Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute
It is beneficial for us also to be aware of certain specifically
Christian facets of the Passover season. To this end, the first part of
our session will be primarily academic; the second primarily practical.
Segment one will survey:
- The essentials of Jesus' (and Judas') Last Supper
(Maundy Thursday -- was it a Seder?)
- Jesus' trial and the Jews' alleged role in it (Good Friday),
- The stories of the Empty Tomb (Easter Sunday).
Segment two will lay out:
- Practical ramifications of Christians (including Messianic Jews) appropriating
Passover (and other Jewish holidays)
- Analysis of a sample church “Seder” text, and models of actual editorial
responses (concerning these “Seders”) by community Rabbis to churches and public media
- And, last, we'll do an overview of Cincinnati's controversial pilot
(not Pilate!) project: the training of Jewish laypersons to conduct
church Seders statewide -- we'll run through the program's rationale,
implementation, results, reviews, and potential replicability in YOUR
Attention will be given to how we should explain these
various subjects to fellow Jews, religious school youngsters, and Christian
neighbors. Needless to say, emphasis can only be on highlights, with help
from handouts -- and with bibliography (for further study) -- via the
Click to add this course to your cart!
Technical and Administrative Support
Online help can be found by clicking here.
1. For Administrative and Logistical Help...
For REGISTRATION or other GENERAL Continuing Education questions, please contact:
Director, Department of Continuing Alumni Education
2. For Technical Assistance or Problems...
For problems with access, documents downloads, audio/video technology, or other technical problems, please contact:
Department of eLearning, HUC-JIR
(800) 899-0925 ext. 4236
Please describe your problem and include a phone number in case we need to contact you directly.